Thursday, August 16, 2012

What is Interior Design?



Deciding to major in Furnishings and Interiors at UGA was not a hard decision for me because designing and furnishing has always been a passion of mine. Because I have moved a lot in my life I have had many opportunities to redo my room and express my personality through its' decor. Interior design to me is a way to express myself. By looking at my room and the fabrics, pictures, and wall hangings that make it up, people can easily tell what my style is. Interior design is also the best way to show your creative side. I am always looking on home decorating sites like pintrest, peir one, urban outfitters, and anthropologie to get new ideas of how to create things that are stylish but also useful. I love looking on these sites and in the houses of my friends who are also creative to gain new ideas. I like to hang a lot of pictures and posters in my room because i love photography and I am also really into music, but I am always looking for ways to hang them more creatively. An idea that I stole from peir one imports is to hang pictures on wire that is attached to a piece of wood. This idea is both stylish and useful. Moving into the sorority house, I needed a creative idea for a headboard. One of the ideas I came across on urban outfitters is to make a head board out of an old shutter and old iron. This is also a resourceful idea because you are using old things that also come together to look really amazing. I also wanted to display my jewelry because jewelry also says a lot about personal style and I found a way to make my own jewelry case by using some old wood again and some chicken wire. By majoring in Furnishings and Interiors I have been able to share ideas, be creative in using different materials, realize and emphasize my own personal style, and express myself to people who don't know me through decorating.

1 comment:

  1. good overall posting and ideas. becomes a foundation for further defining these ideas and your likes will become design goals.

    Overall look of blog is okay. I like the background image but it becomes over powering to content. This blog should be about you and your ideas. is there any way to use this image in singular form? This needs visual balance.

    ReplyDelete