Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Search for Beauty

Generally when one thinks of something beautiful they might think of something with color, unity, or balance. When asked to think deeper into the meaning of what they thought of as beautiful, they might say that it had a personal impact on them. They might have had a pleasant experience with a certain thing, or it might be something that they care deeply about. What we all have to remember when we define beauty is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone has a different opinion of what they see as beautiful based on experience, psychology, needs, or their beliefs or views. I have a different concept of what is beautiful than other people, but that is to be expected. One might think something is ugly when it could surprisingly please, or be meaningful, to someone else.


Culturally Current Beauty

This is a photograph I took at my Uncle's wedding of the city of Atlanta, where I live. This picture is beautiful to me, and I'm sure other people, because of the sunset, lights, and reflections on the glass buildings. I personally also think this is a beautiful photo because it was taken at a very happy time in my life and I also love the city that I live in. If other people live in Atlanta, or live in any city, they probably think this is a beautiful photo too. Everyone loves a pretty sunset so I would say that this photo is universally beautiful.

Unexpected Beauty

I took this picture of an old, broken down, abandoned house in a neighborhood close to my house. The colors are pretty ugly, except for the painting in the corner, and everything is stained, broken, or chipped. Many people would not think this photo is appealing because it signifies abandonment and is not very pleasing to look at. However, some people might be drawn to the rugged look, or wonder the story behind the picture. Others might have had a similar experience with abandoning a house, or coming across one, and might be able to relate to it. What I like about this picture is the painting in the corner because it tells me this house was once lived in and colorful, and could once again come alive. 


No comments:

Post a Comment